Thursday, July 28, 2011

Experiment

I have been MIA from my blog for about...7 months. Ha. Life has just been crazy and to be honest, I didn't feel like I had much to talk about. But in the last few months, I've received some thought-provoking information. At my cousin's wedding back in June, I had the pleasure of seeing my other cousin and her husband who currently live in Ashland, OR. I just enjoy them so much that I couldn't stop talking to them. While we were talking, she mentioned that she and her husband had gone gluten-free. Neither of them have Celiac disease so I asked why they decided to make the change. My cousin divulged that she did it to deal with her PMS symptoms, and her husband is a diabetic. She said she has seen so many positive changes in both of their lives after making that change. Her husband has lost weight, and she has had an easier time with her womanly time of the month.

If you're reading this blog, then you probably know me. And to know me is to know that I have no hesitation in sharing too much information. If you wish to not know some personal things about me, then stop reading.

Anyway- Lately, I have been having problems with PMS. I thought there was no solution besides just dealing with it and hoping Aaron won't leave me. WELL- after talking with my cousin, I now have one option to try. Gluten-free. Considering 98% of my usual diet is carbs, I used to see this as an insurmountable task. But after doing some light research, I see now that it is do-able. And is also something I have to try. I love a good challenge and hopefully it'll be the solution. I have decided to blog about my experience and share my thoughts. I am going to try it for 60 days. That is a good two months which will help me accurately gauge my symptoms. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, they would be welcome. I found about 5 or 6 gluten-free recipe/advice blogs that have been extremely helpful. If you aren't familiar with what gluten-free means, here is a good summary I found online:

Gluten-free diet

By Mayo Clinic staff

Definition

A gluten-free diet is a diet that excludes the protein gluten. Gluten is found in grains such as wheat, barley and rye.

A gluten-free diet is used to treat celiac disease. Gluten causes inflammation in the small intestines of people with celiac disease. Eating a gluten-free diet helps people with celiac disease control their signs and symptoms and prevent complications.

Initially, following a gluten-free diet may be frustrating. But with time, patience and creativity, you'll find there are many foods that you can eat and enjoy while observing a gluten-free diet.

Purpose

The gluten-free diet is a treatment for celiac disease.

Diet details

Always avoid
In order to avoid eating gluten, avoid food and drinks containing:

  • Barley
  • Bulgur
  • Durham
  • Farina
  • Graham flour
  • Kamut
  • Matzo meal
  • Rye
  • Semolina
  • Spelt (a form of wheat)
  • Triticale
  • Wheat

Avoid unless labeled 'gluten free'
Avoid these foods unless they're labeled as gluten free or made with corn, rice, soy or other gluten-free grain. Also check the label to see that they're processed in a facility that is free of wheat or other contaminating products:

  • Beers
  • Breads
  • Candies
  • Cakes and pies
  • Cereals
  • Cookies
  • Crackers
  • Croutons
  • Gravies
  • Imitation meats or seafood
  • Oats
  • Pastas
  • Processed luncheon meats
  • Salad dressings
  • Sauces (including soy sauce)
  • Self-basting poultry
  • Soups

Certain grains, such as oats, can be contaminated with wheat during growing and processing stages of production. It's not clear whether oats are harmful for most people with celiac disease, but doctors generally recommend avoiding oats unless they are specifically labeled gluten free. The question of whether people eating a gluten-free diet can consume pure oat products remains a subject of scientific debate.

Many other products that you eat or that could come in contact with your mouth may contain gluten. These include:

  • Food additives, such as malt flavoring, modified food starch and others
  • Lipstick and lip balms
  • Medications and vitamins that use gluten as a binding agent
  • Play dough
  • Toothpaste

Cross-contamination also may occur anywhere ingredients come together, such as on a cutting board or a grill surface. You may be exposed to gluten by using the same utensils as others, such as a bread knife, or by sharing the same condiment containers — the condiment bottle may touch the bun, or a knife with bread crumbs may contaminate a margarine stick or mayonnaise jar.

Allowed foods
There are still many basic foods allowed in a gluten-free diet. With all foods, check to see that each is labeled gluten free or call the manufacturer to double-check.

Grains and starches allowed in a gluten-free diet include:

  • Amaranth
  • Arrowroot
  • Buckwheat
  • Corn
  • Cornmeal
  • Gluten-free flours (rice, soy, corn, potato, bean)
  • Hominy grits
  • Polenta
  • Pure corn tortillas
  • Quinoa
  • Rice
  • Tapioca

Check the label when buying amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa. These can be contaminated with gluten during processing.

Other gluten-free foods include:

  • Fresh meats, fish and poultry (not breaded, batter-coated or marinated)
  • Fruits
  • Most dairy products
  • Potatoes
  • Rice
  • Vegetables
  • Wine and distilled liquors, ciders and spirits

An increasing number of gluten-free products, such as bread and pasta, are becoming available. If you can't find them in your area, check with a celiac support group or on the Web. Gluten-free substitutes are available for many gluten-containing foods, from brownies to beer. Many specialty grocery stores sell gluten-free foods.

I am very excited to start this experiment and I hope it goes well. I have Aaron supporting me (I think hes going to try it too) and that will make the biggest difference. I am going to start on August 1st. It is hard for me to start new things on days that aren't either on a Monday or the first of the month. Luckily, in this case, Monday is the first! How convenient. I will blog again on that day. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment